These Chickpea, Spinach and Ricotta Rolls were a HIT with my kids! You’ll love the ingredients – they are jam packed with goodness! They are great for school lunches and they also freeze well, perfect for batch cooking!
You’ll notice I used linseeds, a great source of omega 3s, thiamine, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and zinc. I was also out of eggs and I also used a milk wash instead.
Ines Astudillo, paediatric dietitian
Chickpea, Spinach and Ricotta Rolls
Makes 8 long rolls
200g silverbeet, chopped
250g ricotta cheese
400g Chickpeas, tinned rinsed
3 stems shallots, chopped
1 small brown onion
1 garlic clove
3 Tb linseeds, roughly chopped
2 Tb extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste
Puff pastry 5 sheets cut in half
Equipment: food processor, large mixing bowl, wooden spoon, baking paper, cooking brush, oven trays, oven
1. Preheat oven to 200degrees/180degrees fan forced.
2. Line baking trays with baking paper
3. Place garlic and onion in food processor and blitz for a few seconds.
4. Add shallots and chickpeas blitz for 5 seconds.
5. Add silverbeet, ricotta, fennel seeds, nutmeg and oil. Blitz for 5 seconds.
6. Using a wooden spoon combine the mixture in the food processor and then blitz one more time for 3 – 5 seconds.
7. Spoon mixture along the half pastry sheet about 1.5cm high and 2cm wide.
8. Roll one edge over and then the other edge on top. Turn over and cut into 4 even smaller rolls.
9. Place on oven tray that is lined with baking paper. Repeat for the remainder of mixture and pastry.
10. Pierce rolls twice with a toothpick and brush milk wash on top
11. Bake in oven at 180degrees (fan forced) or 200degrees for 15 mins or longer until golden brown.
Silverbeet image courtesy of https://www.flickr.com/photos/growforfood