You can consult with an expert dietitian from the comfort of your lounge room with an online consultation.
Many people find that online consultations are a practical option for example
- you are unable to find a local dietitian who has the expertise that you need
- you want to optimise your time to focus on your consultation rather than travel
- you need to socially distance (eg if you have flu symptoms ore recent COVID exposure)
Our dietitians each have their own area of expertise, and are specialists in their field. Although our dietitians are based in Newtown, you can experience their expertise from anywhere in Australia (and some of our dietitians also consult worldwide!) through the wonder of online consultations.
You get all of the benefits of expert care, but without having to worry about travel, parking or accommodation. All you need to do is find a comfy chair, hook up your webcam and you’re in our office
Your consultation will be conducted the same as if you were sitting in our office. You’ll still get face-to-face time with your dietitian, and if your dietitian needs to step you through any handouts or slides to explain things she can do this by sharing her screen with you. In a nutshell, you get the full benefit of an expert dietitian consultation, from the comfort of your own home.
How do online consultations work?
At Newtown Nutrition we utilise a software application that is designed specifically for ‘Telehealth’ (online) consultations which allows you to enjoy a face-to-face consultation with your dietitian from the comfort of your own home. A computer webcam and speakers are required, or you can use a smartphone.
Here’s how a Coviu consult works….
The consultation will be conducted the same as if you were sitting in our office. Through our webcams your dietitian will be able to see you, and you will be able to see your dietitian. This is great as it makes communication better for both sides. Your dietitian will be taking notes into her client file software (as she would if you were in her office) so she may be looking away from the camera some of the time; like-wise you may need to look away at times to write/type notes as well.
If there are some details that your dietitian needs to explain to you she may switch her screen to a PowerPoint presentation which you will be able to see so that she can step you through the details. Once that is finished she will switch you both back to webcam mode to continue discussions.
If required, your dietitian will email any handouts etc. to you. These will be in pdf format so can be read on any computer. If you don’t already have software to read this type of file you can download Adobe Reader (free).
How do I use Coviu?
Access to Coviu requires no downloads and is easy to set up on your computer/laptop (Windows, Mac or Linux) via your web browser. You can also use Coviu on your smart phone or tablet/iPad (Android or Apple) via the app store. For more information about Coviu
How to make an online booking
The quickest way to find a suitable time and make a booking is to either call our reception staff or use or online booking system . To ensure you book with the dietitian who is best able to help you with your specific needs, check out ‘How we can help‘ or contact our admin team.
If you are an international client, don’t forget to check the timezone (we are in Sydney!
Private Health Funds and Medicare offer rebates for online consultations to eligible clients. See Pricing details for more information.
Get prepared for your consult
Coviu is easy to use and does not require you to download anything.
You will receive a link in your Welcome Email and Reminder Email and SMS
Before your appointment day:
- To ensure your connection with Coviu, we encourage you to conduct a Precall Test prior to your appointment.
- Check that your microphone, headphones or speakers and webcam are working properly. If you hear feedback or screeching from your speakers try using headphones instead
- If you wish to access Coviu from your work computer that has strong permission access settings, you can troubleshoot any issues with Coviu’s Firewall Help Page or contact our team for support.
If you have any questions, please feel free to call the office on 02 9517 9932
On the day:
- Click the link in your Welcome Email or Reminder Email or SMS.
- Enter your name and follow the prompts and you will then be in our virtual waiting room with some music (if you don’t like it you can click the arrows to change the tune!) and then your dietitian will connect with you to begin your consultation.
- Your dietitian will start a Video Call at your appointment time
Payment will be processed at the end of your consultation via Credit Card