You can consult with an expert dietitian from the comfort of your lounge room.
Many people find that they are unable to find a practitioner who can help them locally. Maybe you live out of town and local health services offer general advice, but they are not able to answer your questions. You need a specialist dietitian, but it’s too far to travel!
Our dietitians each have their own area of expertise, and are specialists in their field. Although our dietitians are based in Newtown, you can experience their expertise from anywhere in Australia (and some of our dietitians also consult worldwide!) through the wonder of online consultations.
You get all of the benefits of expert care, but without having to worry about travel, parking or accommodation. All you need to do is find a comfy chair, hook up your webcam and you’re in our office
Your consultation will be conducted the same as if you were sitting in our office. You’ll still get face-to-face time with your dietitian, and if your dietitian needs to step you through any handouts or slides to explain things she can do this by sharing her screen with you. In a nutshell, you get the full benefit of an expert dietitian consultation, from the comfort of your own home.
How do online consultations work?
Skype is a free computer software application that allows you to enjoy a face-to-face consultation with your dietitian from the comfort of your own home. A computer webcam and speakers are required.
Here’s how a Skype consult works….
The consultation will be conducted the same as if you were sitting in our office. Through our webcams your dietitian will be able to see you, and you will be able to see your dietitian. This is great as it makes communication better for both sides. Your dietitian will be taking notes into her client file software (as she would if you were in her office) so she may be looking away from the camera some of the time; like-wise you may need to look away at times to write/type notes as well.
If there are some details that your dietitian needs to explain to you she may switch her screen to a PowerPoint presentation which you will be able to see so that she can step you through the details. Once that is finished she will switch you both back to webcam mode to continue discussions.
If required, your dietitian will email any handouts etc. to you. These will be in pdf format so can be read on any computer. If you don’t already have software to read this type of file you can download Adobe Reader (free).
How do I use Skype?
You can download the Skype software for free on your computer/laptop (for Windows, Mac and Linux) from the Skype website here. You can also download Skype free on your smart phone or tablet/iPad (Android or Apple) via the downloads app. For more information about Skype features check out the Skype website.
How to make a Skype booking
The quickest way to find a suitable time and make a booking is to either call our reception staff or use or online booking system. Use our Quiz to help you work out which dietitian is best for you, then click on the ‘Book online’ button.
If you are an international client, you may prefer to email us or contact us via our contact form – make sure you let us know what time zone you are in and your available days and times of the week so we can arrange a suitable time in our calendar!
Please note Medicare rebates are not available for skype consultations. If you have private health, please contact your fund to ask whether your online consultation is eligible for a rebate.
Get prepared for your consult
Before your appointment day:
- Download Skype (available on PC/laptop for Windows and Mac; smartphones and tablets for Android and Apple) create a Skype login with your email address (if you don’t already have this)
- Click on this link to fill out a form with your details
- Organise payment, if required (see details below)
On the day:
- Log on to Skype ahead of your appointment time
- Check that your microphone, speakers and webcam are working properly. Try making a ‘test call’ to ‘Skype test call’ with a friend to check the volume of your microphone and speakers. If you hear feedback or screeching from your speakers try using headphones instead
- Your dietitian will start a Video Call at your appointment time
You have 2 options for payment:
- Add your Credit Card details during the online booking process for immediate payment
- Or you can provide your credit card details to your dietitian during your consultation and she will process the payment on-the-spot (please note this payment will be conducted within your consultation so it may reduce the amount of time you have to ask questions etc.)
Tips to improve your Skype consultation
See our free handout on how to get the most out of your Skype consult.