This lunch box suggestion is simply last night’s leftover dinner. Chicken and veggies stir fry served over rice. Pack it steaming hot in an INSULATED food jug and your kids get to enjoy a warm lunch at school. Any one of your kid’s favourite dinners (that reheat and travel well) such as fried rice or pasta bolognaise, could be the perfect hot lunch at school the next day.
Lunch box recipe: Stir fry chicken & vegetables with soy, ginger & garlic
1 lge bunch of Chinese broccoli, roughly chopped
1 lge carrot, roughly julienned
1 lge zucchini, roughly julienned
2 cups snow peas, roughly chopped
1 garlic clove, peeled
2cm cube ginger, peeled
2Tb reduced salt soy sauce
2Tb rice wine vinegar
600g chicken thighs, cut in strips
2Tb extra virgin olive oil for marinade
2Tb extra virgin olive oil for veggies
2 tsp cornflour
Salt & pepper to taste
Steamed rice or noodle
chopping board, chef knife, food processor, large mixing bowl, wooden spoon, wok, rice cooker
1. Using a food processor, finely chop garlic and ginger, then add olive oil, rice wine vinegar and soy sauce. Mix.
2. Add chicken strips to soy ginger garlic marinade and combine well. Add pepper and salt to taste. Allow to rest for 10mins.
3. Using a hot wok, cook chicken strips in small amounts at a time and set aside. If the wok is burned, wash before cooking veggies.
4. Using a hot wok, add olive oil and cook carrot, zucchini, Chinese broccoli and snow peas until slightly soft and still crisp.
5. Add chicken to wok.
6. Mix cool water and cornflour and add to wok. Allow to simmer for a few minutes.
7. Serve over steamed rice or mix with noodles.
Ines Astudillo, paediatric dietitian