Creating a positive consultation space
Your Skype consultation will be conducted the same as if you were sitting in our office. You will be asked questions about your eating habits and food intake and perhaps about your digestion or any symptoms you may be experiencing. Being prepared for your consult will be helpful for both you and your dietitian.
The following tips can help you get the most out of your Skype consult:
- Be seated in a quiet space, away from distractions.
- If you have a laptop take it to your bedroom or office, or somewhere else that you can shut the door.
- Make sure the kids (and pets!) have distractions or are looked after by someone else.
- Consider being in a place where you feel comfortable talking about personal issues e.g. about your food and eating habits, symptoms, health, medical history.
- Find a comfortable seat where you can see the webcam and screen easily as you will be sitting still for a while.
- Have headphones with a microphone handy in case you need to plug them in to your computer to allow you or your dietitian to hear clearer. Headphones also reduce feedback buzzing.
- Grab a pen and paper, or if you prefer, open a new Word document that you can type notes throughout the consultation.
- If you have any things (product samples, food diary, medications etc) that you want to share with your dietitian, make sure you organise these ahead of time so they are within easy reach.
- If you have any particular questions that you would like to ask your dietitian write them down so you have them ready to go.
- Make sure you are seated at your computer with plenty of time to log onto Skype before your consultation time. Your dietitian will start a video call over Skype at your consultation time.
- Have your diary or calendar handy to consider a suitable date and time for a review appointment to discuss your progress.